BRIGHTON MARATHON



Just over 19,000 entrants signed up for this years 9th Brighton Marathon. The most popular to date! 

Today is my 8th time at Brighton, as last year I decided against running after the South Downs Way 50 Mile was the previous day! 

This year like two years ago it is a week apart, so I treated this week as a rest week and to hope that my legs and body have recovered well enough to reach the finish safely and injury free! 


Bumping into Shawn ‘my running brother from another mother’ 



Just a few thousand runners waiting in the Red Pen to start




I can see the 3:30 Pacer ballons just ahead. 


09:45 The Start

Myself and Sunday are lucky to have Helen as our support and driver this morning. Helen has run many Brighton Marathons, but sadly her knee has been playing up since a previous event, so has decided it not wise to run today and will be at the finish instead for us both...


We get to Preston Park in good time and make our way to the bag drop trucks. 

We wish each other good luck here as there is going to be no way, with all the crowds we will find each other afterwards. 

I am using a red number today instead of the white elite I have been invited to. 

I feel that after the South Downs 50 last week I will not know how today is going to turn out. I will not be racing this one hard like I usually do! 



Mile 11. Just passing the Marina on our way back to The Pier 


I catch up, by chance with Shawn, whilst waiting in the red pen starting area. He is looking very lean and ready to race today to his best. It is good to catch him, as with so many competitors I didn’t think we would see each other before starting. 

Brighton is good for the switch back areas on the route. So you always get points to see other running friends going past...

After a delay of nearly five minutes from the gun fire, I go past the starting line and the tracker bleeps my chip time has begun. 



Just reaching the halfway point 13.1 Miles


I spot a few familiar running friends from the ‘100 Marathon Club’ and then I even get noticed with my spidey outfit and mask on!.... damn! I of all times I only run a marathon in a mask.... I get spotted out the crowds!

It must be my beard and the give away running shuffle I have adopted since I started barefoot training all that time ago!.... 

Spidey asjustments 


I get a little caught up with all the excitement around Preston Park, the loud cheering crowds and shouting out for Spiderman! 

Once at The Dome, three miles in and the first water stop, I make sure to keep an eye on my pace as the first two 7:15min/mile were little quicker than I should be going if I want my legs to stay strong and fresh for much longer. 

I really don’t know how my legs will hold up after the South Downs last weekend. 



Mile 14. Seeing the folks on Church Road. 


After the section out to Ovingdean with many more crowds, then cheers out for 'Go Spiderman' the miles just fly by...

A few more water stops and waving as I pass friends Lucy, Mark, Steve, Tina and John supporting at Susssex Square.

I manage to catch Sunday running past in the other direction, and I wave as I pass. He is looking good and very comfortable, which is nice assurance...

Before I know it I am approaching the Pier again with a huge uproar of cheering from the big crowds that have congrigated here, then live music to egg me on, giving me a super Spidey boost...

I have lost count how many 'hi fives' I have given passing this wall of amazing support along the Kings Road...


Once heading up onto The Drive, into Hove, on Church Road, the crowds of support does not dissapoint, as usual, just like previous years!


I see Mum and Dad at their usual spot taking pics and looking out for me.






Mile 19. Photo taken by Donna cheering me along 


Once reaching 16 miles and switching back again down Church Road,  I take a Salt Stick capsule, as now I am starting to warm up, and to keep up pace, I may need the salt levels back up again...

Just after the King Alfred's I see Donna at the road side cheering me along, she has her 10k medal on and is beaming! It is so good seeing all these faces along the way as it helps me to focus on breaking up the route and then passes the time quicker, knowing I will be seeing a friendly face soon.


Mile 24. Photo taken by Nik Bailey at the water stop



Once I head on up to the power station, I can feel my pace starting to slip as my legs begin to fatigue! I focus on who I recogniose infront of me and then passing on the otherside the road.


What is intertesting.... I am starting to overtake those that shot off fast at the start. They are either slowing, walking, running with an uncomfortable jerk or stopping to rub down a cramp....


I pray that isn't me later on...


Once we head back down the same road again, onwards to the finish. This is it, the last three mile stretch all the way along the promenade for the final enjoyment and torture!


I have some jelly babies that are handed to me, some more water before trying my bloody hardest to excelerate further.... I know I have this... so far no cramping or body fatique is going to stop me!


I feel so euphoric and able to finish this one strong!


Once at Hove Lawns I spot Nik Bailey at the water station, she is taking a pic of me and is looking so excited... another much needed boost to get to the finish.




Another surprise visit, which is Mum and Dad this time, they have headed over from Hove, to the seafront to catch me again.

At one point near the West Pier I can feel a cramp about to start on my calf. I slow a little and just really hope it doesn't until I get to the finish at least...

Back on the road and greeted with roaring cheers and 'come on Spidey', then high five slapping, I am almost there...



Spidey coming in at the finish to chanting crowds! 


This is the hardest part of any marathon race! so near... yet so far!


I can only let the crowds of support help get me there. The live broadcaster is singing out 'Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can' as I pass the Pier and onto the last leg and with the finish line insight..





I am so ready to reach the finish now. Thumbs up is such an effort...



Out of the entire race, why does this feel like the longest road ever ...

Almost there Spiderman! 



It helps to not watch the clock ahead...



Finally relief reaching the finish line 


I catch a glimpse of the clock above at 3hours 17minutes. Although this is not a fastest or best Brighton Marathon for me, it is a welomed surprise, after last week running the 50 and just getting my fitness back on track again!


I am so chuffed and relieved that I reached without cramp or injury this year!



Bling! Brighton Number Eight completed. 


This is now my eighth Brighton completed and such a shame I have a missing medal from last year, but I am so grateful I can finish this strong and feeling good...

Will I run next year?! It is very debateable as I love Brighton Marathon much as it was always my first, but it has got so commercial now and I didn't realise how much until I experienced the start at Preston Park this morning. 

I love my off road running too much to make Brighton an 'A' race and acheive a personal best, as I have broke my sub 3hour time at Edinburgh and London already... years ago....

It is good to run a marathon that is so familiar and friendly but when your goals and running passions are elsewhere it is time to lay Brighton to rest and come back again, another year perhaps, but not next year...



No PB today, but after last weeks Ultra I will take this unexpected result...




Thank you Brighton! We love you!

Ultra Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here. I would like to encourage discussion on running, training and nutrition. Luke