100 MILES IS NOT THAT FAR?



Yeah right! Who am I kidding! 

Less than 48 hours to go until I begin my 2nd attempt at running 100 miles. This Saturday I am participating in the Centurion Running event North Downs Way, starting in Farnham Surrey Hills and finishing at Wye in Kent. Climbing 9,930ft and a total overall elevation of 20,000ft. I am really excited, however extremely nervous as my training has not gone to plan as such. 

My last race was four weeks ago, Race to the Stones 100k, which was on one of the hottest days of the year. I managed the best I could and finished in 13th position, but not without a big fight to pull on through. I had a slight tendon muscular bruise to my ankle that was not quite healed, so this race in the later stages aggravated it again. 

I wanted to recce some of the north downs route with some running friends, also racing, but with my unsocial working hours then two trips to the west coast USA in the last two weeks, I have now developed a chesty cough! Just like my previous 100 miler the Thames Path back in March, I ran with a cold. So not to risk feeling more poorly, I decided against the bike to see some of the course this week. Although I have the miles in my legs I do not have the hills from the route familiar to them.

I have been eating a very balanced diet of no sugars and no grains where possible, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and fats as a fuel source. I can only hope for the best and take the route as it comes... 

I have raced some of the surrey hills area and north downs in previous marathons so it will not seem too unfamiliar. There is some strong competition with elites this weekend, so I am going to run on how I feel, like last time and starting off slower. I am still a newbie at this distance and it will be good training practice for 2014.

As usual the entrants list has dropped slightly with a small amount unable to race. I am now entrant number 8 (no pressure then) of 178 ultra runners and my progress can be tracked on the live feed here:


I can also be tracked live from my Runkeeper activity page here:


Thank you everyone for your support and kind words of encouragement 

See you there!


UltraLuke

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here. I would like to encourage discussion on running, training and nutrition. Luke